HowTo run NEEO SDK on Synology NAS
In this tutorial, I'll show you how you can run NEEO SDK on Synology NAS.
- Go to your web interface of your Synology NAS (ipaddress:5000).
- Login with your credentials.
- Open "PackageCenter".
- Type " node" into the search box of PackageCenter.
- Now you'll see multiple Node.js versions, install "Node.js v6".
- Search for "git".
- Install "Git Server".
- Close the PackageCenter window, after having installed Node.js v6 & Git Server.
- Open "Control Panel".
- Type "ssh" into the search box of the Control Panel.
- Click on the search result.
- Now you see three options, click on "Enable SSH Service". Port 22 should be correct.
- Click at the right bottom corner on "Apply".
- Close the Control Panel window (Leave the web interface open, you'll need it again)
- Access your Synology NAS with SSH. There are many programs to do this.
=>On Windows, I prefer "Putty".
=>On OSX, you can use the default terminal and type in the command "sudo ssh ipaddress -l userofNAS".
- Log in details for SSH, which are the same you use to log in at the Web interface.
- If you are now connected with SSH, type in: "mkdir neeosdk"
- Now go into the folder with "cd neeosdk".
- Now you need the Github Git link of the NEEO SDK driver you want to install. For example, Niels de Klerks' Kodi driver here.
- Open this link and click on "Clone or download" and copy the URL you see there.
- In SSH type in: "sudo git https://github.com/nklerk/neeo_driver-kodi.git"
- After having been downloaded, type in "cd neeo_driver-kodi"
- Type in "sudo npm install"
- Attention: Synology does not support mDNS. So you need to set the IP of the brain manually. E.g with Niels' Kodi driver you need to edit the "Debug_NEEO_DRIVER-KODI.js" file and set the IP address of the Brain. If you want to test if it works, run "node ug_NEEO_DRIVER-KODI.js" and NOT "npm install"
- After having completed the installation, you can type in "npm start" for testing.
- Now the driver should run.
- If the driver works, close it with "CTRL + C".
- Go back to your web interface and open "Control Panel" again.
- Type "task" into the search box and click on the search result "Task Scheduler".
- Click on create: -> Triggered Task -> User-defined script.
- Create a task name, click on "Enabled" and switch to "Task Settings".
- Switch to the tab "User-defined script" and type "node /Path/To/SDK/Folder/ node Debug_NEEO_DRIVER-KODI.js" into text field.
- Click on "OK" and then you see your named task on the list of "Task Scheduler".
- Click right and click "Run".
- Now all should run if it worked before manually in SSH.
Have fun! 🙂