Neeo - The un-universal remote
Hello fellow neeo'nites... I had such high hopes for this, but it is slowly sapping my enthusiasm to keep trying to fix things. So here is my list of current issues, with what is quite a simple setup now (when I funded the kickstarter it was a lot more devices).
Sony TV (KD65X9000C)
AV Receiver Onkyo HT-R693
LiFX Smart Light
- Volume button on the remote or the app only occasionally works for both up or down?
- Why can't we reconfigure the remote screens for the devices/recipes? I haven't watched free to air TV in years and now its the first set of buttons I get when I turn on the TV?
- Swiping between screens on the remote takes a few goes before it takes.
- If you pause netflix or kodi (google TV apps) using the pause button and then hit the ok button on the remote, it starts playing Google Music (google tv app) when it was never even opened or used recently? Worse of all it plays it in the background which means fumbling around trying to get back to the home screen on the TV to stop the music, then getting back to watching the show is a major pain too!
- Powering off the TV and receiver via the remote or the app is a 50/50 chance of working. It turns it off and then immediately back on again? A 2nd or 3rd try normally get its powered off.
- No ability to have an app specific screen on the remote (eg: netflix or kodi)
- No ability to train the remote for other IR devices in the house like my air-con (@andy has tried a few drivers with me, with no luck, but I can't help further since I can't train neeo from my remote)
Note: that any of the other commands work fine (eg: up/down, left/right, etc) so the brains IR line of sight shouldn't be the issue.
It's getting so bad that now my wife is giving me grief as to why I purchased it as we both initially LOVED it as the hardware is just stunning... but the above software issues and limitations really are causing us to leave it in the dock and use the remote that came with the TV.
Any help or do I just tell my wife she was right?
Mark - thanks for reporting. I'm sorry to hear that you have not had a smooth experience. The issues you describe certainly don't sound normal and I'm positive they can be resolved.
1) and 5) - commands that don't work all the time are caused either by bad IR signal or bad drivers. I'm looping in Andy who is certainly happy to help you resolve that. Either way - these kind of issues ca always be resolved.
3) This is fixed in the upcoming firmware release
4) just so I understand correctly - this is within netflix app or kodi app running on your Sony TV, right?
6) Coming very soon!
7) Andy & the driver team are really good with IR codes. Some air-conditioners can be pretty painful to deal with though. The driver team has access to many different ir-learners but some ACs do crazy things like 2-way IR (yes this exists!) and pretty much every IR solution struggles with this. As we have built the complete HW and SW ourselves we can always tweak things to make it work. So far we alway found a solution. I suggest you & Andy give it another try.