Release Notes “We Are Giants" (Release 0.48.31)
I’m thrilled to share today’s news with you. Within the next hours, we will be releasing the biggest software update yet!
This release has been shaped by the community here on Planet NEEO, in fact, many of the new features and improvements - including the most central change - in this release is based on your feedback. Raphael went ahead and wrote about the main changes in separate blog posts, make sure to check these out:
There is way more than that though. Here some of the additional highlights:
- Another load of features and fixes for Sonos is included, lists can now be of unlimited size, Spotify works again for those who had issues after the Sonos 8.3 update and Instant Favorites can now be set manually in the NEEO App.
- An endless number of UI changes like redesigned pop-ups, a new power menu as well as update notifications on the NEEO Remote have been implemented.
- HDMI CEC has not only been heavily improved, we also added new devices like the already mentioned FireTV, the Sony PS3 Slim and Super Slim as well as the Google Chromecast.
- Huge low-level changes for a generally improved user experiencing like for example new RAM management on the NEEO Remote.
Below are the full release notes for the ones of you which want to know even more. Also check out the Known Issues for this release.
How to update your NEEO
Once the update is available it will show in your NEEO App on the top right with a red dot and an exclamation mark. You just need to follow the steps in the NEEO App and then on the NEEO Remote. We have prepared a little guide.
Be aware that it may take a few hours until your NEEO Brain shows the update, not all of them download the update at the same time, so give it some time. Little hint from me: Rebooting the NEEO Brain can speed up the download process ;-)
Release Version NEEO Brain: 0.48.31
Release Version NEEO Remote: 0.48.31
- Updated CEC Driver, fixes known issues with HDMI CEC
- Fixed WiFi connections for WiFi with UTF8 characters in SSID
- Fixed SSID encoding when sending WiFi SSID to NEEO Remote
- Improved WiFi reconnecting
- Added support for Google Chromecast via HDMI-CEC
- Added PS3 Slim and PS3 Superslim control via CEC (original PS3 lacks CEC hardware support)
- Added FireTV HDMI CEC Driver
- Improved LIFX discovery, added hint about minimum needed firmware version
- Fixed scan and connect to WiFi SSID's containing Emoji’s
- Single tracks can now be played from Sonos Track Library
- Fixed rare case where Sonos is in a strange state
- Instant Favorites can now be chosen by the user manually
- Inputs get split into different slides if there are more than 12 inputs available, fixes invalid AVR view
- Added allowed min and max range notice when using slider as trigger or condition in recipes
- Disables the “next" button if entered slider value is not valid in recipe
- Enabled recipe info again for all cases
- Improved firmware update progress
- Made firmware update timeout screen more user-friendly and actionable
- Prevent Android "back" during firmware update leading to broken screens
- Added grouping for sensors in recipe conditions and triggers by room and using device name in front of sensor label
- Now show playing item in SONOS queue
- Updated Z-Wave database
- Improved cloud discovery handling
- Fixed firmware change listener memory leak
- Added first steps fir Sonos Group support
- Added auto update for devices with outdated data before running device smartener
- Added skip of smartener for devices without HDMI connections
- Fixed device smartener redirect bugs when it should have been stopped (back/skipped pressed)
- Now allow going back to device list from device lookup screen
- Fixed shutdown issue in CEC Driver
- Adjusted logs for offline Hue Lamps
- I2C error handling changes
- Only start CEC connection once, if it fails all CEC functions will be ignored until next Brain reboot
- Z-Wave - Fixed bug where the inclusion/exclusion timeout might not have been set correctly
- Fire TV - Change ENTER key so it works with older releases than Fire OS 188.8.131.52
- Fire TV - Added command "CEC ACTIVATE" to explicit power on the EU Amazon Fire TV
- Fixed initial Hue state was never defined
- CEC Workaround for Hot-Plug Detect (HPD) Issue
- Show device fixing option for smartened devices
- Improved generation speed of XML data for NEEO Remote and slow sensor handling
- Fixed Spotify playing for Sonos 8.3
- Fixed “Multiple Spotify Accounts” problem on Sonos
- Fixed App button presses on 'Shuffle' and 'Clear queue' buttons in Sonos Queue
- Fixed Sonos 'Shuffle All' in Playlists
- Added Fire TV MENU long press triggers MENU HOME
- Reduced "Project Reload" messages on the NEEO Remote
- Improved memory management, increased image cache size by 200%, remote should not run out of memory any longer
- Added Sonos list pagination
- Fixed wireless scan when SSID contains UTF8 characters
- Added "swipe left" to go back on List View in Sonos
- Images now start loading as soon as list is loaded
- Now showing when a firmware update is available on the NEEO Remote (will shop the first time with the next release)
- Added missing Projector icon
- Fixed label display of switches and sliders shortcuts
- Popup UI optimization and button optimization
- New power off screen
- Improved sliders speeds
- Improved Sonos error handling when loading lists fails
- Adjusted list scrolling acceleration and damping
- Improved update messages
- Fixed display of Sonos Playlists Metadata
- Improved gesture handling to only read one gesture until touch is released
- Added software watchdog to detect keypad crashes - reboots in that case
- Improved Wifi disconnects handling
- Implemented stability improvements
- Added new blocking popup with reboot option if assets fail to load
- Added Fire TV discovery header and description text
- Fixed wiring reset not available for SDK devices
- Now supports "Always On” devices
Enjoy the new features and just as a little, little teaser: The next firmware will be beloved by friends of customization…
Thank you to the team for finally delivering this long-awaited firmware update. I'm disappointed that progress with device control over HDMI CEC seems to have been at the cost of any progress with device control over Bluetooth, especially when all my source devices (3 of which are controlled over bluetooth) are in a centralised rack. I think I'll wait and see how others in the Planet NEEO community get on with this firmware before resuming with NEEO. I really do hope that the feedback gives me enough confidence to continue with this journey.Reply
I have an original PS3, so without Bluetooth PS3 support, I'm SOL. I agree that you guys still haven't even met your original kickstarter promises. It seems like you keep trying to perfect the sonos experience, which in my opinion, is already pretty damn good in their own phone app.
HDMI-CEC sucks. Add native support via Bluetooth for devices like PS3 and FireTV.Reply
It is right that we are perfecting the Sonos experience, it is one of the most added devices from our users, therefore it is a central feature
And what about the Rest of us who don’t own a Sonos but a Spotify Premium Account? What’s our Solution?Reply
Thanks for the update guys, always welcome, although I have to agree with some sentiments over the priorities. I am looking forward to see if my idiot devices benefit from the HDMI CED feature though.
When do you think we will be able to properly customise the remote screens, custom icons (or library of options), arrange and resize buttons, rename them etc. ? This is really important for me to catch up with my old and ugly but superbly customisable Nevo Q50. I had really hoped this would be a priority.
Thanks again :)Reply
and i stil have a "wonderful" white led in my living room shining bright aaaaaaaaaaall the time...
can i use the keys now like i want? im missing a hardware- 'pause' button, usable without looking on my neeo...so why not letting me do a long click on for example the mute-button to pause the movie...i am missing sooo much features, and instead of giving power to the users to do what they like, you still try to push through your own way of handling everything...
i like my neeo for physical appearance, i sell it now for the usability...Reply
The new release seems to be a set of bug fixes and minor tweaks (which will be significant to people who experience the specific problems it addresses), but I have to agree with some of the others here who have expressed disappointment. What Neeo desperately needs is a revamp of the user interface.Reply
Wow this update which was meant to be huge bought relatively nothing to the table for me apart from some bug fixes which are always useful.
I was hoping for some new features, i use neither Sonos or HDMI-CEC modes, so the majority of the update was useless. I was much more interested in the customisation features and sleep/awake features of the remote and the fixes for these plus implementations for apple home kit, google home and alexa etc...Reply