PS4 + Sonos Beam/HDMI ARC + BRAVIA Sync = unstable
I was very happy with my NEEO since the day I received it, everything was working perfectly. A few weeks ago I added Sonos Beam, that's when I started having problem.
My problematical setup:
Sony KDL40R450A with 2 HDMI ports:
HDMI 1 (ARC) connected to:
- Sonos Beam
HDMI 2 connected to:
- ZettaGuard 4K x 2K 4 Port 4 x 1 HDMI Switch(ZW410) connected to:
- NEEO Brain
- PlayStation 4
- Nintendo Switch
- Apple TV
Since I added Sonos Beam to the setup, I started having following issues:
- PS4 does not turn on, or turns on after a long delay.
- Sluggish PS4 navigation, only respond to every 4 or 5 presses, with big delays.
- TV does not turn on sometimes.
- NEEO Remote does not indicate PS4 is on on the home screen, even if it's on.
Rebooting Brain fixes it. Basically I had to reboot my the Brain every time I want to use my TV.
After lots of frustration and investigation, I think I have found the culprits: HDMI ARC and BRAVIA Sync control.
It feels like HDMI ARC probably congests the flow of the HDMI flow, which causes sluggish control. And since I needed to connect the Beam to the TV with HDMI, I turned on BRAVIA Sync control. Seems like BRAVIA Sync control does not work too well with NEEO, sometimes it refuses to turn on the TV or PS4.
After I turned off BRAVIA Sync and connect Beam to the TV using optical, everything seems to be working well again.
I hope future updates will fix these issues, but at least for now things are working with this not so ideal setup.