Release Notes "Last Man Standing" (Release 0.46.5)
For a long time, we had to focus on software development that was required to build the stable foundation of the product. These were things like cloud infrastructure, the actual OS of the remote, RF communication, production tests, lots of low-level coding, resource management and much much more.
Just a short while ago we moved to the phase where the really cool stuff - the user-facing features - got much more time allocation. In the coming weeks, exciting things are happening due to that. Based on your feedback via Planet NEEO, we have prioritized the implementation of new devices and features. Some of these will be released to our beta team this week.
With today's release of 0.46.5, we are publishing a variety of fixes and changes for Sonos, it comes along with Sonos and Spotify fixes which will result in a better user experience immediately.
Sonos Instant Favourites.
The best UI always provides the shortest and clearest way to the goal you want to achieve. In case of music, we want you to be able to come home, press two buttons max and have the right music for your mood playing. If you do that with an app it’s just too inconvenient and it takes many more steps. With NEEO, you pick up the NEEO remote which is automatically activated, you choose Sonos and the first screen you see is the album art of your personal 4 favorites music choices. Instead of doing the same many steps again and again just to get to your favorite music - just one click and the music starts playing. You don’t need to modify a queue or anything like this. Pressing these favorites will take care of everything. It’s a beautiful experience because it is so simple.
You can create these instant favorites out of any station, album, favorite, song or playlist from any streaming service available!
There are still some clean-ups to, features to complete and some edge case bugs to fix for this. The next firmware release which includes many of these improvements should be just around the corner (always depending on beta testing).
Sonos Volume Control in any recipe over IP
Some of you reached out because your setups required the ability to control the Sonos Volume from other recipes than the Sonos recipe itself. We listened and here is the outcome: You may now use the Sonos Volume in the step “Use Volume…” in any recipe. This is useful when using a Sonos Amp or a Sonos Connect and especially for the Sonos Playbar as you will no longer need the IR based driver at all.
Thanks to your feedback we found a country-specific issue with Spotify Playback which added wrong links to the playlist. This is now fixed and Spotify should work all over the world.
The automated screen dimming which is coming with this release will not only result in a better experience in dark environments, it will also bring along better battery life. We would very much like to get feedback on this topic from you. Should we dim more or less what do you think?
Summarized Release Notes
Release Version NEEO Brain: 0.46.5
Release Version NEEO Remote: 0.46.5
- Fixed showing unintended stupid device screens for AC devices
- Improved support for Spotify US and International accounts
- Improved Sonos handling for device discovery issues
- Reset recipe step "show controls" to default when device selected was deleted
- Reset recipe conditions when using deleted device
- It is no longer possible to edit a recipe if it's not wired
- Fixed inconsistent room ordering
- Step “Use Volume..." of a recipe allows you to choose a Sonos device (Volume controlled over IP)
- If Sonos Recipe use another volume device, the Mute Toggle hard button works now
- Shortcut lists shows label with shortcut type to easily tell the buttons from the sliders apart
- Rework of "Device Commands Support” which is now called “Live IR Test"
- Do not save "Use volume" selection before clicking "Next" to make sure you can change the volume device selection before saving it with "Next"
- Fixed Sonos UI when a Sonos device is using an IR device as volume control
- Fixed Sonos back button in lists when Sonos is not available
- Added Repeat/Shuffle buttons in Sonos Queue
- Added "Play All" & "Shuffle All" buttons to Sonos List
- Added Sonos Instant Favorites
- Sonos now reloads the queue every time you select it
- Fixed Sonos large player view losing key-mapping on project-reload, it's no longer needed to re-enter the recipe
- Correct headers are now shown in Sonos Library
- Added more natural scrolling in Sonos lists
- Fixed activating item when short clicked
- Remote initial pairing: "Back" Button on pairing error goes to the correct screen
- Backlight is automatically dimmed according to the ambient light sensor
- Remote now automatically goes to 50% brightness if battery is low
- Reworked “You can now use your controller” screen
- Updated Systeminfo View
- Improved Recovery Mode
- Low battery warnings are now shown in the event log
- Queue set parameter for Z-Wave Configuration for battery-powered devices
- Display correct error messages when learning mode times out
- Adjusted Inclusion/Exclusion timeouts to improve reliability
- Updated Device Database and added additionally requested devices
How to update your NEEO
Once the update is available it will show in your NEEO App on the top right with a red dot and an exclamation mark. You just need to follow the steps in the NEEO App and then on the NEEO Remote. We have prepared a little guide . Be aware that it may take a few hours until your NEEO shows the update, not all devices do download the update at the same time, so give it some time :).
I hope you all like that and as said above - these features continue to evolve quite a bit now. Just a little little bit of additional beta testing needed to get to that massive firmware release which will most likely be 0.47. You can look forward to this already.
I installed this update and now I can't keep my Brain connected with the WiFi hidden. I have my WiFi network setup as a hidden network and it was working fine on the previous version of the Brain but with this update I get the Brain connected with the WiFi network visible and then as soon as I hide the network the iOS app on my iPhone can't find the Brain anymore. I tried unhiding and hiding the network a couple of times and each time the same thing happens.Reply
I learned some time ago, that the brain still be lost till I report it... then miraculously reappear, making me feel like I should have waited...
Upgrade of brain and remote went as expected. Remote connects to the brain as expected. The app cannot find brain again, 15 minutes after the brain came back online. Found, but cannot connect (why does mine always do this?!?). 🤔Reply
Patrick Raphael ran the firmware update and the process was smooth. Below are a list of the issues I’ve found and a few comments.
1. Nothing to do with the update but I discovered how to use shortcuts. They are great. Any chance for my cable recipe where I have a shortcut that I can make that page appear first. Doesn’t look like you can reorder pages?
2. My remote was connected to the cradle by didn’t auto update as it should have. I had to do it manually. No biggie but I wanted you to know.
3. The stupid device is now gone which is great.
4. Scrolling content from Sonos on the remote is still limited to a few pages. I had previously reported this. You had mentioned this fix may not make it to this firmware version but wanted you to confirm.
5. Album artwork is painfully slow to load on remote and app.
6. Scrolling works on app.
7. Volume changes do work but the visual white indicator on the playbar is no longer seen.
8. Remote doesn’t always update tack being played but app does. Seems like a load time issue.
9. On remote when you select artist then album your only choice is to play the entire album. You should have tracks below that level.
In summary, lots of good progress but Sonos still has lots of issues on the remote. Please reach out to me directly if you need me to clarify. You should have my cell phone. I’m around this evening.Reply
I turn off my WIFI during the night. In the morning the Remot dos not connect anymore to the brain. After a Reboot of the remote it connects again.
SONOS is still not possible to browse thru Albums, Artist, ... It shows only the first 50. On top its now on the Remote-App on iPhone also not workiung anymore. It shows mor then 50, but it always repeet the same 50-70 artists, and this endless.Reply
Its amazing to see software updates roll out like this. Great user benefits and thanks for doing a log report like this, really makes it easy to follow what’s new!
I saw in your original post Raphael that your team has also been focusing on RF:
” These were things like cloud infrastructure, the actual OS of the remote, RF communication, production tests, lots of low-level coding, resource management and much much more.”
could you please give some more details about this? Now I have a couple of RF devices at home and I’m still holding my breath until my NEEO arrives to see what’s what.
Are you guys supporting RF to some extent or are you talking about something else here?
RF to me is radio frequency if that was unclear to anyone.